Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:14 pm
Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:14 pm

Sept 9th, 2012
Miracle of Miracles! The Guild Chat room is back online and ready to meet your social and mead drinking needs!

Jan 1st, 2012
From your fellow Rangers: Happy New Year!

Nov 24th, 2011
The Rangers Guild wishes you a Happy Thanksgiving! Details...

Nov 11th, 2011
Valkyrie, creator of many popular Oblivion 'short films' returns with the release of Skyrim and promises new videos based on the next installment in the Elder Scrolls series. Details...

Nov 11th, 2011
TESV: Skyrim has been released! Discuss here!

Mar 22nd, 2011
We would like to extend a warm welcome to several new members who have joined our community and are now running an active roleplay. Details...

Jan 1st, 2011
Happy New Year's, and welcome to 2011 from the Rangers Guild!

Sept 15th, 2010
liberator341 has been nominated to become a member of the Guild Order of Scribes. Congratulations!

Jan 1st, 2010
Best wishes for your New Year from everyone here at the Rangers Guild!

March 30th, 2009
Bostonian and Eclaveriia have each received their own Writer Subforums for their outstanding contributions to the Guild's fiction library. Congratulations!

March 14th, 2009
The Guild Art Tournaments have been relaunched with a whole new system in place for running them. Now accepting submissions!

March 7th, 2009
A rundown of upgrades to the Rangers Guild currently in the works has been laid out by the Guildmaster.

October 17th, 2008
The RP Gah-Jorane: The Great Betrayal has received its own subforum, and its creators made members of the Guild Order of Game Masters! Congratulations!

August 17th, 2008
Final results for the 7th Guild Writing Tournament are posted! Details...

August 4th, 2008
The RP A Black Moon Rises has received its own subforum, and its creator, Lord Rahl, has been made a member of the Guild Order of Game Masters! Congratulations!

July 27th, 2008
The 7th Guild Writing Tournament is now under way! Details...

July 17th, 2008
Now accepting submissions for the 7th Rangers Guild Writing Tournament! Details...

Vote for the next Guild Favorites Tournament Category Details...

July 5th, 2008
There are major additions and changes to the Guild Code of Conduct. Please read it carefully. Details...

June 15th, 2008
There are 7 new writer subforums. Details...

May 27th, 2008
Happy 2nd Anniversary, Rangers Guild!

May 24th, 2008
Results for the 6th Rangers Guild Writing Tournament are in! Details...

May 12th, 2008
Guild Archon Valkyrie now has his own web site dedicated to his excellent work in video creation. Details...

May 6th, 2008
The 6th Rangers Guild writing tournament is under way! Details...

Apr 30th, 2008
Art Tournament #3 has ended, and the results are now posted. Details...

Apr 19th, 2008
Voting has begun for the Rangers Guild Art Tournament #3! Check out the photos our members submitted and cast your vote. Details...

Apr 8th, 2008
Nirano and YessMasster are new members of the Guild High Council! Details...

Apr 4th, 2008
Another photo tournament has begun! Details...

Mar 25th, 2008
The Order of Scribes has elected a member to the High Council... Congratulations to Drowelite!

Mar 9th, 2008
There's a new station on Guild Radio, "Valk's Picks", with music from Valkyrie's personally licensed collection! Details...

Mar 5th, 2008
The 6th Rangers Guild Writing Tournament is now accepting submissions. Any genre welcome, includng fan fiction. Become the new Guild writing Champion! Details...

Mar 4th, 2008
Gary Gygax, co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons, dies at 69. Visit the tribute thread and pay your respects. Details...

Feb 29th, 2008
The Epic RP "The Darkness" has returned! A massive story summary, new move, and even a teaser/trailer are posted. Details...

Jan 1st, 2008
The Rangers Guild wishes you a happy new year!

Nov 10th, 2007
The Order of Game Masters has elected a member to the High Council... Congratulations to Zantadeschia!

Nov 5th, 2007
The Guild Favorite Tournaments (CRPG & Sci-Fi Film) are over and winners have been declared1 Details...

TESV: Skyrim Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
SecretInfluence
Archon (Lead Mod)
Archon (Lead Mod)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:27 pm
      Post subject: TESV: Skyrim Discussion
Today, hundreds of thousands of people begin exploring the world of Skyrim. Impressions welcome, and as always, please avoid spoilers or clearly label them in advance so people can skip over reading them! Smile

A multi-platform release of a game of this scale and complexity is bound to have bugs. Looking forward to hearing some funny stories about that. But remember to tell everyone what you think about the gameplay and other good stuff, if you liked or disliked some of the changes versus Oblivion, and most importantly how long you were glued to it before you could break away to do anything else. Wink

Guardog
Ranger
Ranger

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:50 pm
      Post subject:
I don't have it yet, but a friend texted me saying that everyone sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

SecretInfluence
Archon (Lead Mod)
Archon (Lead Mod)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:21 pm
      Post subject:
Guardog wrote:
everyone

I hope that excludes the females... that would be a little disturbing. Haha!

"Greetings, Imperial! I am Arnolda. Who is your daddy and what does he do?"

Albath Windcarner
Ranger
Ranger

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:44 pm
      Post subject:
I'm refusing to watch any gameplay videos until I get the game, which is pretty impossible because the only thing people are posting now are Skyrim videos. School is also a terrible beast to slay in terms of getting game time.

Broken

Tes4addic
Guide
Guide

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:14 pm
      Post subject:
Already on level 12, I have been playing for over 15 hours. It is about time I took a break. So far, the game is absolutely amazing in my opinion. I am still surprised the game is so difficult, at times I feel like advancement is impossible.

Nevyn
Tracker
Tracker

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:18 am
      Post subject:
I don't know if any of this is considered a spoiler, as its not part of any quest, its just a fun easter egg and some game info... but, a warning just in case! (Trying to avoid quest spoilers, but the main quest is mentioned, but with no details. Just one monster that I ran into on the way)

Just north of Whiterun, there's a small foggy "lake" with a skeletal hand sticking up holding a blade (not sure if it changes with level, or if its always steel) nothing special about it as far as I've seen, but it made me laugh. A lot of the Tamriel lore/customs, etc. is based on Arthurian legends and Roman history. Now they have the Lady in the Lake! XD

As for the rest of the game, I love it, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I try to be a bit of a critic with games, even if they're the best game I've ever played, or the sequel to it... *cough* Gameplay is about what I expected, but a lot more difficult XD running into a Spriggan 5 minutes into the game, I got my ass kicked. Then a couple hours later, a troll killed me 3 times, and my horse (stolen!) once. I like that its not "holding your hand" like Oblivion did, but still, if you follow the main quest line and get confronted with a beast you can't kill, what the hell are you supposed to do?! XD Its not a bad thing though. It slows down the pace of the main quest line, so people actually have to go do other quest and/or explore more to get their levels up before it becomes easier to pass certain points.The part of the main quest that killed me was not a dragon, but it was not a random animal either. It has set animations to fit into that pat of the trail that I was on, but whether or not you have to kill it is up to the player. If you have a horse, you can outrun it (if you sprint). But, me being me, I killed it, after it killed me 3 times haha.

The game is absolutely gorgeous. The graphics are a masterpiece, though a bit glitchy. I've had black lines underneath hanging tapestries that shows either the end of the texture, or the end of the mesh, even though the tapestry doesn't fall that far. I've seen landscape go to no detail, then when you turn around, the detail is back. I haven't had any game breaking bugs, or highly noticeable bugs with AI or characters just yet, but I only got around 6hrs of game play yesterday because FedEx was late. Still... the game visually is probably the best I've seen in a long time, if not ever. I'm continually stunned by the looks of the landscape, and how dynamic everything feels. I don't see anymore "static forests" that covered Oblivion. Everything has its own personality - even the animals! I kept stealing the same horse from the same stable any time I had a long way to go, and every time I got close to it, the horse would stare at me for about 30 seconds, paw its hoof, then look away with a loud sigh! Smile while it could be random, its things like that that give the game world a feel of life.

I only have one real beef with the game so far. The perks menu. The idea was good on paper, and the menu is absolutely beautiful, but its very hard to navigate and I don't like how they've taken the Novice, Apprentice, Journeyman, Expert, and Master perks from Oblivion that came automatically, and made them choices in the tree. C'mon, we should at least get one perk from reaching level 25, 50, 75, and 100 with our skills. We shouldn't be forced to pick them over something else because we need them more. It could just be me, but I don't like the way they did that. Other than that, I don't like how difficult it is to navigate the thing. I try to pick a point in the middle of a tree, and I end up going to the top. Or, I try to pick the point next to the one I'm on, and I end up going to the NEXT tree. Just... a little too choppy for me. It could be a lot smoother.

Other than that, there's really nothing bad I have to say about the game. Its beautiful, the story is engaging, the people don't feel so... bland, and everything feels like it is alive, and has its own personality. Oh... and don't go killing chickens, if you're a Fable player. I did, and got attacked by everyone in Riverwood XD

Bostonian
Ranger
Ranger

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:15 pm
      Post subject:
If somebody could post the system requirements for the game in this thread, I would greatly appreciate it! Before I get the game I want to know if my PC has the power to run it. Thanks!

-Bost.

Tes4addic
Guide
Guide

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:19 pm
      Post subject:
Quote:
Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
2GB System RAM
6GB free HDD Space
Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
DirectX compatible sound card
Internet access for Steam activation

And the recommended requirements:

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
4GB System RAM
6GB free HDD space
DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).
DirectX compatible sound card
Internet access for Steam activation

Here you go Bost, right of their site.

Bostonian
Ranger
Ranger

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:24 pm
      Post subject:
Sweet! Thanks Tes! Looks like I should probably be able to run it. The only thing I'm not sure about is my video and sound cards, so I'll do a little research about that (translation: I'll bug fellow Guild Members later on to figure out how on earth I can tell what kind of hardware I have.) Wink

SecretInfluence
Archon (Lead Mod)
Archon (Lead Mod)

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:18 pm
      Post subject:
Bostonian wrote:
what kind of hardware I have

If it ran Oblivion on the highest settings nice and smooth, you can probably bet on a decent experience with Skyrim. But if you had to run Oblivion on the lowest settings, your computer hardware when stacked against Skyrim is probably the equivalent of this.

On an unrelated note, Skyrim is apparently totally sold out at the local stores. Clearly it has gotten a lot of attention!

Tes4addic
Guide
Guide

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:53 pm
      Post subject:
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1258645-texture-scaling-on-360/

Interesting, I installed the game the second I got it. I still think it looks fantastic. If anyone runs into any issues, let me know. I have seen a few comparison videos, and the textures when you are close to something seem to be horrible in the installed game vs. the uninstalled.

For the time being, I am going to keep my copy installed. It cuts down load time and heat, and I need that for my first gen xbox 360. This thing is a RROD waiting to happen, and if it dies on me now I will be pretty pissed off.

Drowelite
Council Member
Council Member

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:35 pm
      Post subject:
I purchased Skyrim about an hour after it was released in stores. Been playing it exclusively for the last few days in my down time (unfortunately, I don't get weekends off Angry) I'm not really comfortable sharing any of my antics in the game yet, as I wouldn't like to spoil anything for those who have yet to acquire the game.

Bottom line: what I've experienced of the game thus far has been nothing short of amazing. Quite the worthy successor to Oblivion.

Albath Windcarner
Ranger
Ranger

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:55 am
      Post subject:
Kind of disappointed at the "FUS RO DAH" shout; sounds more like "fus? RO DAH" to me.

(Don't mind me, I don't even have the game.)

Lord Rahl
Ranger
Ranger

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:49 pm
      Post subject:
Very Minor Spoilers

Sadly, my Xbox died on me several weeks before Skyrim released, but I did get a chance to play it for about twenty-two hours over Thanksgiving. I really like the game, much more than I enjoyed Oblivion (and I loved that game), but probably not as much as I liked Morrowind (the initial thrill of playing a game that size cannot be relived, although Skyrim came close). What really does it for me is the sprawling landscapes that you can see way in the distance...EVEN WHILE YOU ARE STANDING IN A CITY!

But, yeah. There is some mainstreaming evident, but some of it, I think, is great. Sprinting actually feels pretty natural when I have a sword in one hand and a ball of flame in the other, chasing down a blood dragon as it sprays liquid fire over a camp of Forsworn (still haven't figured out why they are called that...what/who did they forswear?) while they feebly attempt to fight back.

I like the crafting skills added. Smithing is fun, although super easy to level, and the new take on enchanting while not very different is still fun. I do not like the changes to alchemy, though...I miss carrying around my master alembics and mortar and pestles.

Without giving too much away, I am incredibly pleased with this game. There are some bugs, but nothing TOO bad. Hope you all enjoy it as much as I do!

Lord Athas
Ranger
Ranger

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:20 pm
      Post subject:
I've only encountered one bug so far. A mammoth spawned in the sky. It's displeasure was reversely proportionate to my amusement.

Meanwhile, I cannot deny that Skyrim is an epic game. Despite some rather evident mainstreaming (where's my mortar & pestle, where are my repair hammers, where are classes, etc.), I thoroughly enjoy the game.

All times are
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next